Belief in the Disir

Bathilde
Egil

Egil
Belief System: Fyrnsidu
Title: Thegn

Re: The Heathen Worldview

Post by Bathilde »

It's boggling my mind why you simply can't show me evidence of your claims. It's like you consider it an insult for someone to challenge you.

Once again, you should be attacking the argument, not the person. Check out the policy forum, number 4 on the guidelines.

Actually you just gave me an idea for a new guideline....
JeffSinger
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Belief System: Anglo-Saxon Heathen

Post by JeffSinger »

http://mardallar.wordpress.com/temple-o ... -disablot/

This article helps my case.......why would the major festival at Uppsala be dedicated to the Dis (Disablot) if they were not a central aspect
Social Media + Heathenry = Eternal Circle jerk
Bathilde
Egil

Egil

Post by Bathilde »

Perhaps it's subjective what constitutes the "central" aspect of a religion. I certainly do not consider belief in the Disir to be central, regardless of what occurs at the major festival at Uppsala. I agree it can be a big part of one's belief system.
JeffSinger
Grasshopper

Grasshopper

Re: Belief in the Disir

Post by JeffSinger »

Ok, you say the disir arnt central to your belife, just as a bunch of vikings may not have held Frey as central to their belifes, but Frey is still a central part of the belife system as a whole, like the Disir. The good thing about GP is that you can focus more on this than that unlike alot of other religions
Social Media + Heathenry = Eternal Circle jerk
Wodenborn
Loktar

Loktar
Title: Sceadugangan

Post by Wodenborn »

I have to agree with Jeff on the topic of the importance of the Disir, they were seen as what would be termed in today's parlance "Guardian angels" or "Spirit Guides"
Katie Gerrard writes in "Seidr 0 the gate is open.
The disir were female spirits who were attached to a person (or more commonly to a family) and were responsible for protecting and guarding. Your disir were important to your wellbeing and safety. At birth a person might be attributed a collection of disir and these would stay with them throughout their life. They would also have disir that were responsible for the wellbeing of the whole of their family. It is unclear whether these disir were ancestors who had undertaken the role of disir after death, or whether these were similar to Norns.
The disir had their own blots between Autumn and Winter and were taken very seriously. In Njal's Saga, Thidrandi dies as a result of improper behaviour on the night of the ritual, falling victim to the disir when he breaks a taboo against opening the door.
Hold the Heathen Hammer high with a battle cry
For the pagan past I live and one day will die

(Tyr 2009)
Bathilde
Egil

Egil

Post by Bathilde »

How does this show us that belief in the disir is a core belief?
Kitta
Trogdor

Trogdor
Belief System: Just Heathen
Title: Fjoellkunnigrkona

Post by Kitta »

It illustrated that the disir cannot be ignored. They were honored with worship much like that which you would give the gods. The dis are a part of core heathen lore, the same as the gods and honor to our ancestors, aeb the rites and rituals to them, as well as various references to their effects on humanity and fate.

A really good source for a variety of topics by the way is 'the asatru edda' put out by the norroena society. Its easy to understand in an introductory way while also being quite thorough.

With the strange denial of the disir though, I am curious as to how you define the disir. From my readings the disir are the goddesses, the ancestress, te hamingja and the fylgjur ... I don't understand how such a huge chunk of our lore (basically the entire divine feminine )And can be so idly and yet so stubbornly discarded.
"I give my word to the Divine, the community, and myself, that to the best of my ability I shall take into my hands the threads of Frith I have been blessed with and weave them with diligence and care throughout the lives of all that I touch."
Gangleri
Trogdor

Trogdor
Belief System: Asatru
Title: Thrall

Post by Gangleri »

Animism is much broader then Germanic Heathenry. Id never think of the Native American beliefs as Asatru or Asatru-like.
''Young and alone on a long road,
Once I lost my way:
Rich I felt when I found another;
Man rejoices in man''
~Wodan
Richardlyday
Trogdor

Trogdor
Belief System: Dual Trad Heathen

oygprtwl

Post by Richardlyday »

EyeCed