Bathilde
Egil

Egil
Belief System: Fyrnsidu
Title: Thegn

Why Thor Matters

Post by Bathilde »

http://www.patheos.com/community/paganp ... r-matters/
Thor is an opportunity. People will seek out Pagans due to this film, silly as that may sound. When they come we should greet them with answers and hospitality, especially if we weren’t received that way. Thor can mark a change not only for seekers, but for how our communities interact with them.
JeffSinger
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Belief System: Anglo-Saxon Heathen

Re: Why Thor Matters

Post by JeffSinger »

I think people who come to Heathenry because of a movie based on a comic book should take a long hard look at what they are doing. I do not look to that comic book character as representative of our faith or our god.
Social Media + Heathenry = Eternal Circle jerk
Bathilde
Egil

Egil

Post by Bathilde »

I don't think that was the point of it, but ok.
Aelfgar
Loktar

Loktar
Belief System: Just Heathen

Post by Aelfgar »

One would hope there will be some who see the movie that will want to investigate further. I read as many Thor comics as I could get my hands on when I was 7-8 back in the 60's and look at me now ;)

I suppose the movie is going to be a bit of nostalgia for me regardless of how accurate it is.
"Then I will rather live there (in Hel) with my ancestors than go to heaven with a parcel of beggars.” --Radbod the Frisian
JeffSinger
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Belief System: Anglo-Saxon Heathen

Post by JeffSinger »

oh ya know what Bathilde i misread i thought you were talking about people converting because of Thor
Social Media + Heathenry = Eternal Circle jerk
Aelfgar
Loktar

Loktar

Post by Aelfgar »

Just saw the movie yesterday, I enjoyed it, I might go back and see it in 3D since the special effects were pretty cool.
"Then I will rather live there (in Hel) with my ancestors than go to heaven with a parcel of beggars.” --Radbod the Frisian
Lupegoulash

Re: Respecting other religions

Post by Lupegoulash »

I really enjoyed Thor. Heathens on another board were discussing whether or not they should protest somehow. Far be it from me to tell them that they're right or wrong, but i think you just have to get in your head what is lore and what is comic-based, seperate the 2, and live happily ever after.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Aelfgar
Loktar

Loktar

Post by Aelfgar »

I agree, if you take it for what it is, it's a fun movie.
serkrsaga

Post by serkrsaga »

We have the same thing happening within the realm of Civil War scholarship. People get turned on via the utterly horrible representations of the conflict from Hollywood and now, unfortunately, even documentaries, and it pushes them to seek out more knowledge. The problem, though, is that in America, most people:

(1) Do not care enough to seek quality information.
(2) Don't know where or how to find quality information.
(3) Don't know what quality information even looks/sounds like
(4) Are more likely to utilize Wikipedia or a friend to find it.

If we, as the heathen community, hope to derive positive gain from "Thor" we need to reach out and ensure that good information is available, very accessible, and most importantly, easy to digest. Otherwise, the film will do more harm than good (ala Gods and Generals...).
Bathilde
Egil

Egil

Post by Bathilde »

But I really liked Gods and Generals.

Lord Chamberlain can do no wrong!