Earth nature field

The Loki Thread

MysteriousB13
Bumblebee
Belief System: Asatru

Re: The Loki Thread

Post by MysteriousB13 »

While I don't honor Loki I acknowledge him as an essential component of balance. For any system to work, there must be a counter point. If I remember correctly, Odin considered Loki a blood brother.
Bathilde
Egil

Egil
Belief System: Fyrnsidu
Title: Thegn

Post by Bathilde »

There was a bit of an uproar concerning Trothmoot's alleged loki blot. The Troth doesn't allow loki to be hailed in official Troth functions, but apparently there may have been a private blot to loki at Trothmoot and now they're looking over their current policy on it to see if a better compromise can be made regarding it's lokean membership. What do you think?
Gemyndig
Loktar

Loktar
Title: Modern Freewoman

Post by Gemyndig »

I think if the rite was done in a private capacity, then I see no problems. It wasn't like it was an "official" Troth blot or anything. Maybe they need to make allowances for that in their rules - maybe they'd be frightened of alienating the anti-loki people too much though. I don't see that it's the role of an org to interfere with people's private "rooftree" beliefs or practices though, as long as they behave politely and appropriately with other Heathens who may not feel so comfortable with those things. It's a bit like some Pagan events where you get some folks thinking they can strip their kit off in front of everyone "because they're Pagans and it's allowed", whilst there are kids there etc, and not everyone wants to see all their bits hanging out LOL (and not everyone's THAT sort of Pagan!)

I think it's just all about manners, and ground rules which allow everyone to get along nicely, and if people stick to them, then fine, but if they don't, then they shouldn't be allowed in!
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality that guarantees all the others." Winston Churchill
My Blog
Kitta
Trogdor

Trogdor
Belief System: Just Heathen
Title: Fjoellkunnigrkona

Post by Kitta »

There was a controversy between two kindreds near the St Louis area as well along the same lines. They came together for a Sumbhel, and one kindred allowed hailing of Loki whilst the other felt that hailing Loki was courting disaster and since ground rules weren't discussed before hand it went badly.

Personally, I usually avoid so much as saying His name, I just don't want to catch his attention at all. I do like the point that was mentioned in the beginning of this thread, about how he does teach us that when we err we can always make amends (as it says to do in the Runelog). I think we can learn from knowing Loki - and perhaps if I did something really, really bad and I felt overwhelmed in trying to fix it, perhaps I would pray to Loki for that. I generally try very hard to behave with honor and discipline in the first place, mind you, but everyone makes mistakes.

As far as hailing him kind of 'out of the blue' in Sumbhel or Blot or a Faining, though - I generally don't. I don't consider him an 'enemy of the gods' because I know a lot of stories where he has come to the gods rescue, and where he and the Gods get along just fine. I just consider him ... the weird uncle that never quite grew up and is always getting into trouble so it's best if I just kinda stay out of his business, if that makes sense, lol.
"I give my word to the Divine, the community, and myself, that to the best of my ability I shall take into my hands the threads of Frith I have been blessed with and weave them with diligence and care throughout the lives of all that I touch."
Gemyndig
Loktar

Loktar
Title: Modern Freewoman

Post by Gemyndig »

Kitta wrote: I just consider him ... the weird uncle that never quite grew up and is always getting into trouble so it's best if I just kinda stay out of his business, if that makes sense, lol.
LOL - I like this analogy a lot! :lol:
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality that guarantees all the others." Winston Churchill
My Blog
Kitta
Trogdor

Trogdor
Belief System: Just Heathen
Title: Fjoellkunnigrkona

Post by Kitta »

lol thanks ... funny thing is, I have an uncle like that, so it just sorta poped into my head.
"I give my word to the Divine, the community, and myself, that to the best of my ability I shall take into my hands the threads of Frith I have been blessed with and weave them with diligence and care throughout the lives of all that I touch."
apatch45
Bumblebee
Belief System: Asatru

Post by apatch45 »

I've never seen Loki as one of the gods, necessarily. I also see no records or evidence of my ancestors giving honor to him. I just avoid him, he was always just that one guy who hangs out with the gods, and screws things up when he's bored. At the same time, there is some wisdom to be found in how he amends his faults as previously stated. Personally, I have nothing for him. That's my two cents.