Earth nature field

Folkish/Universalist Poll

What comes closest to your heathen worldview?

I'm not just Folklish, I'm Völkisch
No votes
Folkish
26%
A little from column A, a little from Column B
26%
Universalist
21%
Neither
26%

Total votes: 19
Bathilde
Egil

Egil
Belief System: Fyrnsidu
Title: Thegn

Re: Folkish/Universalist Poll

Post by Bathilde »

It's a cultural religion actually. The religion and culture are intertwined. If you take the religion out of the context of the culture, then you do a disservice to yourself and to the religion. It would be a superficial belief. Things taken out of context lose a lot of meaning. This is why many refer to heathenry as a worldview rather than just a religion.
gestalt100

Post by gestalt100 »

I take the cultural context away in practice.
Bathilde
Egil

Egil

Post by Bathilde »

Sucks to be you then.
Deleted User 72

Post by Deleted User 72 »

I tend to think it's primarily for people of Germanic ancestry. But I hold out that other types who are willing to learn our ways can "join the tribe" through adoption, marriage, oaths and lots of study.

I think a lot of unnecessary heat is generated between Folkish and Universalist types. I just don't see huge numbers of non-Germanic folk flocking to join our religion.
VikingBiker

Post by VikingBiker »

To me, logically one should find their faith among their own people. However, as the races are mingling so much, that now matters less and less.
Wodenborn
Loktar

Loktar
Belief System: Anglo-Saxon Heathen
Title: Sceadugangan

Post by Wodenborn »

Ahh what is a Heathen and where do I stand....hmmmm interessting

can anyone become a Heathen - I certainly wouldn't stand in their way and would positively encourage them

and yet Heathenry is at base a set of social norms that really applies to the Northern Germanic world and not other parts - who have Paganry based upon their own social norms which would probably be more acceptible....but please don't interpret this as 1930's Ahnenerbe thought - it certainly isn't.

But......

neither do I belive in a tribality, for many of us seek a solitary way and in many respects Heathenry is a one to one commune rather than a priest and congregation - although I do know that some want to engage in this "Us" public display.

(sorry I have started wandering off topic)
Hold the Heathen Hammer high with a battle cry
For the pagan past I live and one day will die

(Tyr 2009)
Bathilde
Egil

Egil

Post by Bathilde »

how does being solitary work with a heathen worldview?
JarlErn
Bumblebee
Belief System: Just Heathen

Post by JarlErn »

gestalt100 wrote:It's a religion. Not culture.
Heathenry isnt like other religions that are seperate from culture and law. It seems the ancients views culture, law and religion as all part of the same force. their priests governed laws and no man could be killed except by their say. and much of what we know of heathenry is only preserved in our western culture, which even though its become laden with christianity and capitalism still has some semblances of heathendom (such as christmas and john barleycorn)