Wyrd

Bathilde
Egil

Egil
Belief System: Fyrnsidu
Title: Thegn

Wyrd

Post by Bathilde »

How would you sdescribe Wyrd? Who are the Wyrd sisters and what do they do? Where do they come from?
Wodenborn
Loktar

Loktar
Belief System: Anglo-Saxon Heathen
Title: Sceadugangan

Re: Wyrd

Post by Wodenborn »

what is Wyrd...complicated...but it's not the same as "fate" or Doom...a Dome (A-S "Dome") is something that cannot be avoided...Wyrd on the other hand can be manipulated.

Bate's Way of Wyrd is an introduction but certainly doesn't go into it far enough.....

Wyrd can be described as "paths that are open"...the path that is chosen leads to a particular Wyrd/adventure/outcome...along the pat other paths may also open - each one of us has these paths awaiting to be chosen or refused

All paths lead to ones doom this cannot be avoided....but the path taken leads to it quickly or slowly....with pain or without pain...with enlightenment or without enlightemnet..with hope for an afterlife or a wandering through Hel.

confused....welcome to Wyrd

Wyrd is
Hold the Heathen Hammer high with a battle cry
For the pagan past I live and one day will die

(Tyr 2009)
Bathilde
Egil

Egil

Post by Bathilde »

Expound on "with hope for an afterlife".
Karlsefni
Trogdor

Trogdor
Belief System: Asatru
Title: Járnhöllsgoði.

Post by Karlsefni »

The temptation to label wyrd as the pan-personal journey is great. But it is a sealed fate that one must learn as much about in order to delay as much as possible. Like how Odin works hard to abate Ragnarok at all times.

It's not because I reject my fate, it's because I know that I can make my fate great with hard work.
Uffda!
Bathilde
Egil

Egil

Post by Bathilde »

For those of us who have a hard time wrapping our heads around wyrd, please expound Bro-sefni.
Gangleri
Trogdor

Trogdor
Title: Thrall

Post by Gangleri »

In waiting for a response, Ill put in my dime's worth. I look at life as a bit like a story like you'll find in a novel. Wyrd is then the role given to them by the author. Like ''helper of the main character''. In Real Life ofcourse there are many lives running trough eachother, each on its own a spiderweb of stories. So the role given to us (our Wyrd) is never really something you can put in a few words. Wyrd is what we are and are supposed to be. In the case of the Gods, Wodan saw the ending of all the stories he knew, but him knowing the Wyrd was I think ultimatly part of his Wyrd. He is now know to us as the God who sought for, obtained and spread very much wisdom, from the meaning of the Runes to the stories of the Gods (via the Edda's) and simple rules of conduct (Havamal), it is part of his character to always find wisdom and to apply it. It would seem inevitable that he was to know of the doom that was going to come eventually and that he would put that knowledge to good use.

This is how I understand Wyrd to be (mostly I learned to understand the term from the writings of Dianna Paxxon and other random writings on the subject). If I digressed to much by going rather in-dept about Wodan let me know and Ill shorten that part.
''Young and alone on a long road,
Once I lost my way:
Rich I felt when I found another;
Man rejoices in man''
~Wodan
HeathenHammer
Trogdor

Trogdor
Belief System: Just Heathen
Title: Huskarl

Post by HeathenHammer »

The beauty of the concept of Wyrd is that nearly every definition and interpretation to each individual is never identical. The way I see Wyrd is as follows.

Wyrd is the perfect harmony between "destiny" and "free will". When we are presented with a situation in the current moment, we have the free will to choose what path we take, but the path we take has always been our destiny. Our personal history, family and ancestry effects what various possibilities we have, and it is up to us to choose one of the these given possibilities, but it was our fate to choose the path we did. I think the only reason we have "free will" with Wyrd is because we cannot know our fate. Only until we commit to a certain path is when we know that, that particular path has always been our fate.

Well, that's as best as I could do. Sounds a bit contradictory, I know, but Wyrd is a very complex concept, one that I don't fully understand myself. Hope I didn't make the confusion any worse :D

Inntil Neste Gang
--Nick--
Bathilde
Egil

Egil

Post by Bathilde »

You did rather well I'd say.
HeathenHammer
Trogdor

Trogdor
Belief System: Just Heathen
Title: Huskarl

Post by HeathenHammer »

Why thank you :)
Gangleri
Trogdor

Trogdor
Title: Thrall

Post by Gangleri »

I agree, the syntax between free will and destiny makes for a much more understandable explenation then my novel comparison.
''Young and alone on a long road,
Once I lost my way:
Rich I felt when I found another;
Man rejoices in man''
~Wodan