Respecting other religions

Bathilde
Egil

Egil
Belief System: Fyrnsidu
Title: Thegn

Respecting other religions

Post by Bathilde »

Does religious belief come with inherent respect?

I'm of the opinion that just because someone holds a belief system, that doesn't mean it automatically gets respect. There are a plethora of beliefs that range from ridiculous to abusive and wrong. I do not respect them, not only that but I choose to disrespect beliefs that I feel are dangerous.

I also do not feel my belief system requires others to respect it. Respect is something earned, imo, not an automatic status. Religions do not earn respect, people do.

I can respect someone's right to believe what they want without having to respect that belief.

Now having said that, I'll agree in regards to being diplomatic, especially with interfaith things, one would need to show due deference to better lubricate the interplay. But other than that, I see no reason to give respect to religions that haven't earned it.
Aelfgar
Loktar

Loktar
Belief System: Just Heathen

Re: Respecting other religions

Post by Aelfgar »

I agree with that, there are way too many religions that in my view do not deserve respect. Anyone remember Heaven's Gate?
"Then I will rather live there (in Hel) with my ancestors than go to heaven with a parcel of beggars.” --Radbod the Frisian
gestalt100

Post by gestalt100 »

I'm ok as long as they aren't talking hate or killing themselves or others.
Lupegoulash

Post by Lupegoulash »

I think that people, by their positive actions can earn respect, but anyone of any religion can prove themselves to be a jerk. I respect everyone's right to choose what faith is right for them, as long as it's not pressed on me. I, in turn, will not push my beliefs on them.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
gestalt100

Post by gestalt100 »

I agree with that, I'm all about charity and helping the community. If people say that Asatru shouldn't be about that then I don't want anything to do with them.
JeffSinger
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Belief System: Anglo-Saxon Heathen

Post by JeffSinger »

I think people meen major or decent religions when they say respecting religion, but it can also meen respecting ones right to belive rather than the religion they practice itself
Social Media + Heathenry = Eternal Circle jerk
Deleted User 72

Post by Deleted User 72 »

As long as people can keep their religions to themselves, I will show diplomacy, tact and restraint in dealing with their members.

But I have issues with a lot of faiths out there. I find nothing redeeming about Islam, for example. At the other end of the scale, most of the neopagan or new age occult movements come across as mere social clubs for hippies.
Bathilde
Egil

Egil
Belief System: Fyrnsidu
Title: Thegn

Post by Bathilde »

most of the neopagan or new age occult movements come across as mere social clubs for hippies.
^^This
Aelfgar
Loktar

Loktar
Belief System: Just Heathen

Post by Aelfgar »

most of the neopagan or new age occult movements come across as mere social clubs for hippies.
Oh yeah.
"Then I will rather live there (in Hel) with my ancestors than go to heaven with a parcel of beggars.” --Radbod the Frisian
Wulfcempa

Post by Wulfcempa »

Many times I've found myself explaining that "tolerance" doesn't mean that you have to like (or respect) something... it just means that you put up with it. Because I'm not out lobbying my representatives to make Christianity (for example) illegal is an indication of my tolerance of it.

But I believe it's appropriate to think critically not only about other people's paths but also our own.

Fundamentalist Christianity, for example, rejects science. Sorry, but I think that's just plain ignorance. Non-fundamentalists still maintain a world-rejecting view (i.e. the natural world and everything in it is "cursed") and I think that they're beliefs can be unhealthy. They're told that we were all born as miserable, wretched sinners and our only value comes not through our own works but be gaining the forgiveness of the god who supposedly cursed us in the first place.

So, yeah... if I see things that don't make sense, or things that I think are unhealthy, I'm willing to express that in context. And such a context would be here, where I'm not speaking to Christians but to heathens. I have many Christian friends, and if they ask my opinion I'll tactfully give it to them. And I have a couple of Christian friends that actually enjoy such honest discussions.

I definitely believe in a live-and-let-live approach to religion/spirituality overall.