Neo-paganism

Bathilde
Egil

Egil
Belief System: Fyrnsidu
Title: Thegn

Neo-paganism

Post by Bathilde »

From the same fb discussion as the last topic...

What is neo-paganism? Is it a religion? Is it a label for many religions? Is it new pagan belief? Do neo-pagans share a culture?
Wulfcempa

Re: Neo-paganism

Post by Wulfcempa »

I consider it an umbrella term for modern followers of pagan paths.

I'd say that, for the most part, the culture that they share is modern American (or whatever other country from which they happen to hail) and, in our case, that is a strongly Christian-influenced culture.

From what I've seen, neo-pagan paths in general aren't terribly focused on the study of and immersion in ancient cultures to the point of actually resulting in a changed world-view. For the most part, the neo-pagans that I have encountered retain the world-view that they had before they adopted their pagan path.
Deleted User 72

Post by Deleted User 72 »

Wulfcempa wrote: From what I've seen, neo-pagan paths in general aren't terribly focused on the study of and immersion in ancient cultures to the point of actually resulting in a changed world-view. For the most part, the neo-pagans that I have encountered retain the world-view that they had before they adopted their pagan path.

I would say most neopagans have a decidedly counter-cultural view of the world. Crowley and Gardner were after all interested in weird things like nudism and ritual sex. And when Wicca hit the American West Coast in the 60's and 70's, eco-feminism was added to the mix.

I'm tempted to say the great mass of neopaganism comes across as a protest movement by fringe groups that can't fit in to mainstream society.
schwarzesonne
Loktar

Loktar

Post by schwarzesonne »

Neo-paganism is nothing more than whatever the local coven or grove says it is.
~~Steve Anthonijsz
Triuwa enti êra!
Bathilde
Egil

Egil

Post by Bathilde »

It's quite subjective, I agree.
Follower of Odin
Bumblebee
Belief System: Asatru

Post by Follower of Odin »

I'm going to agree that Neo-paganism is whatever someone calls it, be it coven or grove. There are some, and it's a small group, of Neo-pagans that believe in reading the dusty and boring books but, once again, it's small.
Wodenborn
Loktar

Loktar
Belief System: Anglo-Saxon Heathen
Title: Sceadugangan

Post by Wodenborn »

we are on the path to fluffy bunnies again aren't we

Neo-paganism seems to be whatever anyone wants..take the name of a god - or it seems preferably a goddess, dress in Black, white or whatever coloured robe you want, wave a magical wand (bought for £9.99 at the local wand store) and use a magical Goblet set with fake gem stones (courtesy of Ebay)...make up anything you want and then say you are a pagan

actually that's harsh but you get the idea...

in truth I am all in favour of it if it encourages thought, creativity and individuality...especially if they harm none or nothing then more power to them
Hold the Heathen Hammer high with a battle cry
For the pagan past I live and one day will die

(Tyr 2009)
Bathilde
Egil

Egil

Post by Bathilde »

LOL, I sold my magical goblet on ebay a few months ago too. I h ad bought it when I was in highschool as part of my renaissance faire costume, but I have a nicer goblet now(brass tankard actually), so I decided to sell it and I marketed to wiccans by saying it was a faery magick celtic chalice hahaha.