Earth nature field

Blot or Faining

Speak your mind here.

Do you use Blot or Faining for a non-blood sacrifice?

Blot
38%
Faining
46%
What?
No votes
Other(provide explanation)
15%

Total votes: 13
admin
-----------

-----------
Belief System: No answer
Title: King of Town

Blot or Faining

Post by admin »

Just to get an idea of usage.
HridgarMike
Bumblebee
Belief System: Just Heathen

Re: Blot or Faining

Post by HridgarMike »

Faining
Shadowcat
Loktar

Loktar
Belief System: Frankisk Aldsido

Post by Shadowcat »

I'd have to say faining. Though, if the plans for our farm work out in the future, I very well may do blot since we'd end up slaughtering animals at some point for food anyway. I just wouldn't do it just for the sake of sacrifice.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Sumbel!

To be perfectly honest I don't really do either that often. Might raise a glass/horn from time to time to whomever I'm toasting but I'm a solitary with little experience with other heathens so I pretty much just do what feels right for me.
Bathilde
Egil

Egil
Belief System: Fyrnsidu
Title: Thegn

Post by Bathilde »

I don't consider a sumbel to be the same as a blot or faining. I consider it a different ritual that usually comes after the blot(or faining).
Jason

Post by Jason »

Oh I agree with you Bathilde, they are very different. All I was saying is that I don't really do too much "religious-wise". When I have it's been nothing much more than getting together with good friends and (inevitably involves) doing a little drinking.
Bathilde
Egil

Egil

Post by Bathilde »

ah, ok. Yea my lack of access to farm animal prevents me from bloting most of the time, hehe. All I did for Eostre was a sumbel.
Gemyndig
Loktar

Loktar
Title: Modern Freewoman

Post by Gemyndig »

My understanding is that a Faining is a group rite more or less akin to Blot (ie with a Husel and Sumbel afterwards)only without animal slaughter. I've heard of Heathens using organic and local farm-killed meat for the Husel from a place they trust (and even some of the blood to sprinkle), if they don't have livestock of their own for a Blot (I don't think people should be slaughtering animals unless they're properly trained in it though - I certainly don't think it's essential for effective worship either really.) Using blood and meat from somewhere else like that though is likely correctly called a Faining though.

A solitary rite where mead or other liquid is offered is like a mini Sumbel maybe, but I tend to just call any sort of sacrifice, of whatever it is, an offering if I'm doing it on my own.
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality that guarantees all the others." Winston Churchill
My Blog
schwarzesonne
Loktar

Loktar

Post by schwarzesonne »

The difference in terms is a specific reference to whether or not a beast's blood is shed.

“faining” (OHG fagende; OE fægenung; ON förn) means “celebration” with the connotation of honouring someone.

“blot” (OHG bluostar; OE blót; ON blót) all bear the notion of a ritual slaughter followed by a sprinkling of blood and a communal feast.
~~Steve Anthonijsz
Triuwa enti êra!
Bathilde
Egil

Egil

Post by Bathilde »

I've seen some argue that non-blood blots are the actual blots and that blood isn't related to blot.