Earth nature field

I do not refer to the Aesir as Gods, what's your take.

Speak your mind here.
Woden Kyn
Trogdor

Trogdor
Belief System: Just Heathen

I do not refer to the Aesir as Gods, what's your take.

Post by Woden Kyn »

Monotheists and Atheists are put off by any mention of gods. Some have prenotions that cause them to stonewall or worse become aggressive, this creates an us vs. them situation. When I refer to the gods I call them the Aesir or ancestors. I have never had to prove the existence of my ancestors or explain that there was a people living in Europe prior to the Roman Empire. This is common knowledge.

Furthermore, all the Heathen groups have oaths to which state one or more things I don't agree with. Those things all have to do with the "reconstruction" aspect. Why reconstruct? Take what is important and apply.

Heathenism has always been about being inclusive, but attempting to recreate rituals or stuff from the far past in places away from the public's eye is not being inclusive.

I am in no way attempting to desacralize Heathenism. Heathenism has a true place in the modern world, but I feel like I'm the only one who wants to honor my ancestors in a modern way.

Woden Kyn
Waya Adanvdo
Bumblebee
Belief System: Just Heathen

Re: I do not refer to the Aesir as Gods, what's your take.

Post by Waya Adanvdo »

You make a truly interesting point.

"When I refer to the gods I call them the Aesir or ancestors. I have never had to prove the existence of my ancestors or explain that there was a people living in Europe prior to the Roman Empire." This is a fascinating and unusual way of viewing the Æsir. It makes total sense, though, and appears to be a valuable method of reference, association, and explanation.

There are plenty of heathens who are interested in modernising the religion ("German neopaganism" is not uncommon in phrase). As richly authentic as it might feel, most heathens don't live (or want to live) in earthen homes, forgo automobiles, or leave offerings of horse meat and wine to the Æsir. There is absolutely a place in the modern world for heathenry; however, there is also something to be said for people wanting to return to the old ways--it's their way of expressing their beliefs. Perhaps it will be necessary for you to be the change which you wish to see in the community.

Also, a question: is there a collective word for all of the Norse gods? The Æsir seems very specific to me, but perhaps I'm over-complicating things.
"At advent of the heavenly wheel of stars,
Frigga weaves mount’ous clouds with silver threads,
Wolves celestial eyes appear from mist afar,
As you cloth them in rosy golds and reds."
-Seana Fenner von Fenneberg
A Prayer to Sunna
Bathilde
Egil

Egil
Belief System: Fyrnsidu
Title: Thegn

Post by Bathilde »

Why reconstruct? Take what is important and apply.
Because reconstruction provides us with a solid foundation for our belief system.
Heathenism has always been about being inclusive, but attempting to recreate rituals or stuff from the far past in places away from the public's eye is not being inclusive.
The former is debatable, the latter is inaccurate. Reconstructionism isn't reenactment. And those who prefer using rituals based on the past rituals don't seem very exclusive to me. I don't see how a ritual whether old or new has anything to do with exclusivity at all.
Bathilde
Egil

Egil
Belief System: Fyrnsidu
Title: Thegn

Post by Bathilde »

Waya Adanvdo wrote: Also, a question: is there a collective word for all of the Norse gods? The Æsir seems very specific to me, but perhaps I'm over-complicating things.
Æsir just means gods. I know some like to separate them into Æsir and Vanir, but linguistically Áss means "a god" and Æsir is the plural of that.

wikitionary entry for Áss