HeathenHammer
Trogdor

Trogdor
Belief System: Just Heathen
Title: Huskarl

Greetings

Post by HeathenHammer »

Hello there.

My name is Nick, and I am 17 years old. I have always been interested in Norse mythology and other forms of Heathen related topics. Although, it has only been a few months from when I first thought I'd take this interest to a more dedicated level. I have always felt a subconscious pull to the Old Ways of my ancestors, and I have always had a lot of pride in my ancestry. Since this decision, I have been doing a lot of research into Asatru, Heathenry, etc., but there is only one obstacle. I have never been a person of faith. I'm sure many Heathens (like any person of faith) have experienced times of doubt and disbelief, so I'd like to here from you guys on how you get past this. I have been trying to have this faith, but it has always been a pain. All responses are greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

Inntil Neste Gang
--Nick--
Bathilde
Egil

Egil
Belief System: Fyrnsidu
Title: Thegn

Re: Greetings

Post by Bathilde »

Welcome nick!

As far as not having faith, that's not necessarily a problem within heathenry. There are heathens who are atheist, and the value the ethics, traditions, familial connections and fellowship, and the gods and wights are seen as symbols and metaphors.

If you're searching for an inspiration for your faith, I would suggest meditative contemplation, or simply being among others heathens in symbel would also be helpful.
Gangleri
Trogdor

Trogdor
Belief System: Asatru
Title: Thrall

Post by Gangleri »

Welcome,

Bathilde is right, there are many varing vorms of the heathen worldview. Maybe you'll change your mind, maybe you wont. Its up to the Gods and to yourself.
''Young and alone on a long road,
Once I lost my way:
Rich I felt when I found another;
Man rejoices in man''
~Wodan
HeathenHammer
Trogdor

Trogdor
Belief System: Just Heathen
Title: Huskarl

Post by HeathenHammer »

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciation! On one side of the coin, I don't have a problem with my atheistic mentality; it's comfortable and it makes sense. On the other side, though, I've always had a deep ancestral pride and longing to be dedicated to the same creed that my ancestors were, and for some reason, I don't feel "fully" dedicated without that faith. I'm not sure if this out of my ignorance of Heathenry, or egotistical thinking. But, I'm sure all will be resolved with time and further research! :)

Inntil Neste Gang
--Nick--