Bathilde
Egil

Egil
Belief System: Fyrnsidu
Title: Thegn

First Americans might've been Europeans

Post by Bathilde »

http://www.pbs.org/saf/1406/segments/1406-4.htm
For years it was believed that Clovis people came through Alaska using a land bridge from Siberia, then traveled south just as ice sheets across Canada were breaking up. So archeologists have long looked for signs of Clovis people in Alaska.

In 1989, road builders in Alaska's Tanana River valley accidentally uncovered a site called Broken Mammoth. With artifacts dating back 14,000 years, it was the oldest site in Alaska-but it held no Clovis points. Later, another nearby site yielded artifacts a few hundred years older, but still no Clovis points. It did, however, contain microblades and scrapers typical of Siberian and Russian sites going back more than 20,000 years.

For Alaska state archeologist Chuck Holmes these findings suggest that early Alaskans weren't the predecessors to Clovis. And he's not alone.
Wodenborn
Loktar

Loktar
Belief System: Anglo-Saxon Heathen
Title: Sceadugangan

Re: First Americans might've been Europeans

Post by Wodenborn »

oooh oooh oooh

Solutrean hypothesis

The Solutrean hypothesis of Dennis Stanford and Bruce Bradley suggest that the Clovis point derived from the points of the Solutrean culture of southern France (19,000 BP) through the Cactus Hill points of Virginia (16,000 BP) to the Clovis point.

The Hypothesis observes the similarities between the Solutrean industry of France and the later Clovis culture of America and suggests that people with Solutrean tool-technology crossed the Ice Age Atlantic by moving along the pack ice edge...hunting as they went.

These then settled in Northeastern America and served as the donor culture for what eventually developed into Clovis tool-making technology

The theory remains controversial and does not enjoy wide acceptance but it's as valid as anything else yet suggested
Hold the Heathen Hammer high with a battle cry
For the pagan past I live and one day will die

(Tyr 2009)
JeffSinger
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Belief System: Anglo-Saxon Heathen

Post by JeffSinger »

Friggin totally awsome documentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNTXCMYjwEk
Social Media + Heathenry = Eternal Circle jerk
Steve
Bumblebee
Belief System: Just Heathen

Post by Steve »

A very interesting thread, it makes me want to explore this further.
Woden Kyn
Trogdor

Trogdor
Belief System: Just Heathen

Post by Woden Kyn »

If you want to know the past of this country, why not ask the Native Americans themselves. They know where they come from.

This is the Creation Story of the Mescalero tribe of the Apache Nation. Note that the mother of their tribe is called "White Painted Woman", wonder how she got that name?

I would like to add that even if the Solutreans did make the trip during the ice age, they are our relatives, but they are the Native Americans ancestors.

Some Native Americans have exhibited fears, very real fears that this a modern way of justifying European presence in this land and give scientists rights to study human remains of ancient man that have caucasiod features which would desecrate sacred death rights of these people.

Thor defended his people even if the odds were stacked against him, I hope that Heathens would see Native Americans as distant relatives and that we are all part of a much larger tribe. If an attempt is made against their people sacred rights I hope the Heathens would look to Thor for inspiration to choose the right path.

Woden Kyn
Bathilde
Egil

Egil
Belief System: Fyrnsidu
Title: Thegn

Post by Bathilde »

All humans are distant relatives I would think.